[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Sep 20 19:16:14 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> I think the source of confusion stems from here: whether in the Theme, or in
> a commercial Plugin, code is being distributed that *stops working*
> (partially) if a subscription payment isn't maintained.

I understand that viewpoint.

However, this is the theme reviewers mailing list. So I fail to see
how exactly is this relevant to a theme, which no longer contains this
code, being approved for the directory or not?

Are you proposing to change the guidelines such that we are now
judging everything a developer does, regardless of where they do it?
Because last I checked, that up-sell requirement was limited in scope
for a reason.

If I make a piece of code and release it for free, and then make
add-ons to that piece of code and sell them separately, then at what
point have I violated the current guidelines?