[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Sep 20 18:57:43 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Trent Lapinski <trent at cyberchimps.com> wrote:
> Are subscription based themes and plugins that limit usage if the user stops
> paying allowed on .org?

No, they are not.

> If no, then the theme shouldn't be allowed on .org until they change their
> pricing model.

The problem is that their theme no longer does this. Their pricing
model for another add-on piece of code they are selling is irrelevant
to the theme.

> This isn't an us vs. them situation. This is simply a "is this allowed?" and
> so far not a single admin or .org representative seems to have an answer.
>
> Can we please get a clarification so we can put this issue to rest once and
> for all?

I have already answered this, multiple times, in multiple ways. What
answer are you looking for that will satisfy you? How can I better
explain this? Tell me, please, because it's as clear as day to me.