[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Sep 17 20:15:04 UTC 2013

Additionally, the Pagelines theme *is completely free*. It's in our
directory. You can download it and use it and not pay a dime. Heck, I have
the Pagelines theme on a test setup. Works fine, and I didn't pay a thing
for it.

What they're selling there is membership to their "pro" subscription
service. You don't have to join the service to use the theme. And they can
set any price they like on the service, because *they're not selling you
the theme at all*.

This is being misinterpreted as a "usage" limitation on the theme, but
those prices don't apply to theme at all, they apply to joining their
membership system and gaining access to their services. Support services,
those "pro-editing" plugins or whatever other code they give you access to,
etc. All the stuff listed lower down on the page. And they have every right
to charge differently based on the number of sites you're using their
services to help support and such.

When you get right down to it, Pagelines doesn't actually sell "themes".
They put their theme in our directory, for free. Their "pro" theme isn't
actually a different theme at all.

-Otto