[theme-reviewers] WordPress Themes Download Statistics Counter

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 11:01:51 UTC 2013

I had always wondered the same thing and tried investigating how good it
was.

Generally speaking, it's actually just a click counter, not really a
download counter (which I don't know if that would even be possible without
intrusion or at all) because you can click to download, not actually
download and just refresh the page and the count goes up once. Trying a
second time does not work so I assume it records the IP address to try and
keep the numbers consistent and accurate.

Considering that a lot of ISPs automatically change their customers IP
addresses every so often, anytime they re-downloaded it would count again
if their IP had changed.

The download link isn't nofollowed so whether robots following the link
counts as yet another download count, not sure.

My guess would be that at least 80% of the recorded count for any given
theme accounts for real unique and separate people who genuinely downloaded
and tried the theme.

Then, if we got into what percentage of people from the download count are
actually still actively using the theme we'd probably quickly fall below
the 50% mark.

Anyways, please keep in mind that this is all merely anecdotal on my part.

Thanks, Bryan