[theme-reviewers] Custom home page in the theme

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Mon Sep 9 19:18:35 UTC 2013

Very little. And in fact, that's how I personally implement it, because
it's more flexible.

The problem with front-page.php is that it is generally used as a
featured-content display, with no consideration of the blog posts index -
and unless blog-posts-on-front is explicitly considered, it prevents the
user from displaying the blog posts index on the site front page.

Unless front-page.php accounts for the blog posts index, the
inclusion/exclusion of front-page.php results in two classes of Themes:
those that can display the blog posts index on the front page, and those
that can't. Front-page templates are great, and can be an awesome Theme
feature, but there is no reason that Themes should be differentiated on
that basis. There's no reason that a user should be prevented from using an
otherwise perfect Theme, merely because the Theme fails to account for the
blog posts index-as-front-page use case - a use case that is, as far as I'm
aware, still far more prevalent than the static page-as-front-page use case.

I proposed the idea of having the Template Hierarchy use either home.php or
front-page.php, dependent upon get_option( 'show_on_front' ) - but that
idea was fairly quickly shot down.