[theme-reviewers] Is SMOF framework allowed?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Sep 5 17:33:14 UTC 2013

You can (as far as I know), but I would advise against it, and would favor
the original: Devin Price's Options Framework. The main reason is that SMOF
adds a non-standard Settings Page UI.

Looking more in-depth, I am concerned about the SMOF readme, which includes
the following:

License

SMOF is released under GPLv3 - http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. You
are free to redistribute & modify copies of the plugin under the following
conditions:

   - All links & credits must be kept intact
      - For commercial usage (e.g in themes you're selling on any
      marketplace, or a commercial website), you are*strongly recommended* to
      link back to my Themeforest Profile
Page<http://themeforest.net/user/SyamilMJ> using
      the following text: Slightly Modified Options
Framework<https://github.com/sy4mil/Options-Framework>
       by Syamil MJ <http://themeforest.net/user/SyamilMJ>

That straddles the non-GPL-compatible restrictions line.

The GPL does not require "all links and credits" to be kept intact; rather,
it requires the appropriate copyright/license attribution to be retained.
As for the commercial-use part: the GPL does not allow the developer to
"strongly recommend" any such thing.