[theme-reviewers] Theme Activation Hook

Bruce Wampler weavertheme at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 17:14:40 UTC 2013

I'm hearing two things here:

1. Theme Previewer must work without relying on any options set in the
database - whether or not the theme has been activated or not previously.

2. Eventually, Chip doesn't want anything written to the database unless
the user explicitly saves options, even if the theme has been activated.

This is two different things, and at least for my themes, presents two very
different issues. They show the default settings just fine in preview
without any interaction with the database, and this makes perfect sense.
But once a theme has been activated, it relies on being able to save the
default settings as an option to display the options admin pages correctly.

I would hope being able to Preview correctly is the critical issue here?

The latter is a very difficult issue for my themes at least, partly because
of their interaction with the WP Settings API. Hope I don't need to cross
that bridge.

Bruce Wampler