[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Oct 10 01:58:03 UTC 2013

Josh,

Am I missing something? The Theme you linked is distributed under the
Envato Regular License, not the 100% GPL license.

It also includes this statement:

Moreover PurePress is 100% GPL so you are free to use it on as many sites
as you like!

If I had to guess (because I'm really not highly involved with
ThemeForest): that pre-dates the existence of the 100% GPL license. The
developer was (at the time) forced to distribute under the Envato Regular
License, but wanted to distribute under GPL - and so, added statements to
the effect of a "poor man's dual license".