[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Oct 10 00:37:09 UTC 2013

Huh? Akismet doesn't have any "DRM".

Akismet sends the comment to their servers, where it returns a "spam"
or "ham" message. The service is the whole point, by evaluating
comments from many sites, it can be better at determining spam.

Serviceware plugins are specifically allowed. A Facebook plugin must
necessarily talk to Facebook to do its thing. Same for Twitter or any
other service-oriented plugin. If the service is doing something of
substance, then it's obviously okay.

The Akismet plugin is fully GPL. Modify it, use it, even make your own
akismet-like service if you think you can do a better job of it. A few
other groups have done exactly that.

-Otto