[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 00:06:06 UTC 2013

*@Otto*

Well, saying you're allowed to use a theme on unlimited sites if you pay
for the most expensive option when it's actually true that you could simply
buy the cheapest option and be able to use it on unlimited sites and not
just one, is pretty deceptive.

I think Wheaton's Law applies here perfectly towards theme developers
abusing users.

"*Theme developers may not use deceptive marketing ploys or proprietary
licensing restrictions that contradict the GPL or WP policy in the
intention of locking in customers and restricting their usage.*"

I don't see how that hurts very many developers and is about anything other
than just protecting users.

It's not saying any marketing ploys, I agree, that's too far. It says
marketing ploys that contradict the GPL or WP policy. That's specific
enough to be pretty safe. But, help me revise the policy, make it safe for
both developers and users.

*@Simon*

What Chip said, took the words right out of my mouth. I'd like to add
though that that isn't just an ideal, that's how almost all open source
software, if the developers are playing by the rules, works.

Your point would make sense if we were talking about cable television, but
we're not.