[theme-reviewers] GPL and limiting usage

Trent Lapinski trent at cyberchimps.com
Wed Oct 9 21:21:45 UTC 2013

1) No one is arguing the GPL ensures quality.

2) They actually can't due to a validation API that restricts usage. If you stop paying you lose API validation and Pro features, which is why this is NOT GPL compatible.

You do not get to keep access to what you paid for if you stop paying.

The main issue here is number 2, which Otto argued doesn't apply because the copyright holder isn't subject to the terms of the GPL, which according to the GNU is not true.

With that said, if what Otto was claiming is not true according to the GNU then Nacin's support of Otto's position is also not valid.

At this point, I'm 100% confident that most of the people who are arguing that what PageLines is doing is GPL compatible do not fully understand the lengths PageLines has gone in their Pro features to lock users in, and limit usage.

This is a cut and dry issue now that we have official confirmation from the GNU on this issue. This isn't up for interpretation, PageLines Pro features violate the GPL usage limitations.

--Trent Lapinski
CEO of CyberChimps Inc