[theme-reviewers] Upgrading Masonry In Core

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Nov 23 21:18:08 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Josh Pollock <jpollock412 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Would anyone's theme experience a similar issue? Probably. Is that a valid
> objection to upgrading in core?

Probably.

Is what nacin suggested about writing a back-compat wrapper possible? I'm
not a javascript guru and I have no idea what the changes in masonry are.
But if an add-on of some type can be made to fix compatibility breaks, then
it's more likely to get in.

The short end of it is that if at all possible, core upgrades cannot break
people's websites. If somebody is using Masonry 2 and upgrading core to
Masonry 3 will break that site, then Masonry 3 just ain't gonna go in. But
if a "masonry-fix" script can be added to prevent that breakage, well, that
will go over much better.