[theme-reviewers] Font Compatability

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Nov 21 08:28:08 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 2:05 AM, bravo keyl <bravokeyl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is SIL OFL GPL v.3 Compatible..?
>
> In the wiki page it says no .
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIL_Open_Font_License
>
> In the guidelines it says yes..
> http://make.wordpress.org/themes/guidelines/guidelines-resources/
>
> Can anyone clarify this ?

It is technically incompatible, however we allow it specifically on
WordPress.org, as a special case, because in this particular context
the nature of the incompatibility is irrelevant.

SIL-OFL has a rather unusual requirement that the font file be
distributed with some other form of code, instead of all by itself.

Because a font in the context of a theme or plugin is not integrated
in a way that could be considered "deep integration", we believe that
it falls under the "mere aggregation" mentioned in the GPL with
regards to distribution in the same packaging. For the purposes of
distributing it in the theme directory, or with a plugin, it adheres
to all the "free" guidelines that we consider important on
WordPress.org.

Therefore, it is allowed to be distributed with other code on
WordPress.org. It has all the same freedoms that we consider
important, and the unusual clause about being distributed with code is
irrelevant, as even a simple "hello world" program fulfills that
particular requirement, as does any WordPress theme or plugin.