[theme-reviewers] Do share buttons fall into plugin territory ?

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 17:37:57 UTC 2013

Just some thoughts ...

Although typically the implementation of social sharing links (icons, text
links, buttons, etc.) has been considered strictly plugin territory I would
be open to discussing implementations within themes that require nothing
more than the end-user checking a box to activate the option, but with
certain caveats:

This is not an exhaustive list, just a few items that come to mind
immediately (and obviously open to the discussion):
* This is strictly held as an opt-in feature of the theme
* All the end-user need do is simply turn on the option (think check box or
radio button ... strictly an on/off method)
* The implementation must only be possible within the theme such as using a
theme specific hook and the hook must not be replacing a core hook to
accomplish the goal of implementing the social sharing links (an end-run
would be very bad for your karma); or any other similar justifiable
execution of the social links code
* Obviously (I hope) the social links must follow the theme aesthetics
* Turning on the option must not interfere with any (common?) plugin that
offers similar sharing opportunities, for example Jetpack (or any other
similar plugin), by masking, deactivating, hiding etc. that plugin's output.

... and all of the above may also need to be considered on a case-by-case
scenario which would for all intent and purpose really bog down the whole
process of theme reviews. So the last thing to keep in mind, do we really
want to add a whole new layer of scrutiny so some theme authors can add
social sharing links?

Edward Caissie
aka Cais.