[theme-reviewers] GPL Screenshots

Thomas from ThemeZee contact at themezee.com
Wed Nov 13 12:54:09 UTC 2013

I guess there are a lot of themes which have images in their screenshots
which are not GPL licensed or GPL compatible (some just look like stock
photos). I have actually thought about updating some of my theme
screenshots with better images, too. Since a lot of themes do that I
thought it would be okay.

I don't mind personally if such images in screenshots are allowed or not in
the future, but I find it is a little bit unfair when some theme authors
are picked out to remove their screenshot images, while others are still
allowed to use them. As far as I can see no reviewer has ever taken any
look on the theme screenshot and therefore every image in screenshots was
approved without checking for GPL compatibility.

Maybe a good rule would be that any images on the screenshot have also to
be bundled with the theme (would be also very fair for users because they
can get the theme as displayed on the screenshot). And bundled theme
resources are checked against GPL anyway.