[theme-reviewers] How to license images in themes?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Tue May 28 12:39:43 UTC 2013

What is mandatory:

1) Explicit declaration of copyright and license for all bundled resources

If the developer holds the copyright for bundled images, and intends to
license them under the same license as the Theme, it is generally
sufficient in the readme to indicate that, using a statement such as "all
Theme images are copyright [year] [name], and are distributed and licensed
as part of the [Theme name] Theme" (for example).

For other images for which the developer does not hold the copyright, you
should use a similar copyright/license statement as used for the Theme,
such as, "XYZ images are copyright [year] [author], and are distributed
under the terms of the [license] license", with a link to the license
terms, and a link to the original source.

Here's how I do it in Oenology:
https://github.com/chipbennett/oenology/blob/master/help/license.htm