[theme-reviewers] Removing core features

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Thu May 23 07:25:12 UTC 2013

Yeah, I hope it remains a trending thing though and doesn't become a
requirement. I mean if it happens, it happens, we'll all have no choice,
but to play ball.

And that's great that it's working out for some of you and the potential
issues haven't been too bad. I don't inherently hate the idea or think that
it's a wrong choice for anyone to use this method or anything of the sort.
For me though, the idea and the pros/cons don't appeal to me.

It's not something I intend on embracing or even experimented with in my
business model, so long as the choice remains our own. I might try
something with one of my free themes, but my premium theme has a very
specific business model. I realize many people have already looked at the
monetization potential with this methodology and good for them, whatever
works. That being making more money from having multiple plugins available,
which together customers end up actually spending more than they would have
originally for a pre-packaged theme over time.

But, unlike most I only have 1 theme, 1 price and a serious dedication
(perhaps obsession) to keeping things as uber-simple as possible for the
end-user in all possible aspects of their experience. People love variety,
but they also hate it. I think they both work and have appeal. I'm that guy
that opens up the French Vanilla ice-cream shop next to Baskin Robin's (32
flavors). I'm more interested in specialty than variety and I realize
that's not a very popular model, but one I believe in for my shop.