[theme-reviewers] Removing core features

Stuart Wider stuartwider at gmail.com
Thu May 23 07:01:19 UTC 2013

I've been getting the feeling that the move towards 'minimal options theme,
everything else in plugins' has been in the wind for a while.

The 'eliminate decisions' mantra that I've seen quoted occasionally around
the Wordpress community seems to indicate the direction (though googling
for it right now of course I can't locate those references - ack). Also on
this list we often see the words 'its plugin territory' - so the further
separation of theme style from options would seem the way things are
heading even if we can't get an official line on it right now.

Myself I've decided to a certain extent to try this approach with my latest
theme, including only very simple options in the version that I'll be
submitting to the repo at some stage soon, and putting all the bells and
whistles into a companion plugin for people who like extra options.

I've released it already on my own site and my support experience with the
approach has been positive. Nobody so far has got confused (I'm sure it
will happen at some stage though - and I can empathize with Bryans
experiences which I've also experienced in the past, but not so far with
companion plugin approach). Maybe its because I'm 'prequalifying' my
customers because they generally install the freely available basic theme
before installing the extra options plugin.

So, maybe there's no official line yet, but we can maybe read between the
lines of where we're headed.