[theme-reviewers] Removing core features

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Wed May 22 23:41:20 UTC 2013

*@Chip*

All the bells and whistles that premium themes have (I don't have any
specifics). I've just heard that WordPress wants developers to move in the
direction of leaving themes just style and for any features and option
panels etc, that there should be a companion plugin.

That's about as well as I can explain it. If that doesn't sound right, just
let me know.

*@Otto*

Yes, what Otto said. Not official or required, but that's what WordPress
(disembodied) would *like* to see start happening...

For me, I don't think a lot of developers really think about the customer's
perception enough. Everything about companion plugins can be seen as "good"
for developers, sure, but means nothing to and only makes things more
difficult for the end-user.

For any of you that have user-bases, customer-bases or both, you already
know what I'm saying is true. For novice WordPress users (that is most
WordPress users) it's a miracle that they get WordPress and a theme
installed in the first place. Though, most are only able to do so by using
1-click installs. By adding a new step, installing a plugin to get the
features that we "promised!" it just adds another hurtle for the user.

Good for development and good for ease of use are direct contradictions in
many cases, this definitely being of them.