[theme-reviewers] Removing core features

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed May 22 23:30:20 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Bryan Hadaway <bhadaway at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've heard that WordPress (higher ups?) are really pushing to get theme
> developers to build there special features for premium themes into plugins
> instead of packing everything into the theme. I've heard that's what a lot
> of the talk has been at recent WordCamps. Bad information?

There is no "official" viewpoint, but the idea certainly makes sense
to me. Especially for existing theme shops, who have the
infrastructure to sell commercial themes already. Why not turn some of
that code into a commercial plugin and sell it separately? Make it
easier to manage, make the code simpler by breaking it into smaller
pieces, sell the system in parts and perhaps even bundle them at a
discount... What's not to like about it?