[theme-reviewers] Removing core features

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed May 22 13:55:58 UTC 2013

A slider is just a jquery Plugin, that manipulates user content on the
front end.

SEO features are Plugin territory. SEO is not a matter of visual
presentation for end-users, but rather discoverability and authority for
search-engine indexing. It is also something that is *extremely* sensitive
to change, if SEO configuration changes when the active Theme changes.

As for add_theme_support( 'automatic-feed-links' ) - you'll note that in
the last Guidelines revision, we *downgraded* that from *required* to
*recommended*, for precisely this reason. That Guideline was a relic, and
is being phased appropriately.

There is a lot that can be done functionally within a Theme - but that
functionality needs to correlate directly to content presentation. Go back
to your original example: a slider. That can be done in an entirely
appropriate manner, that does not cross the presentation-functionality
line. For example, a Theme can define Theme-specific, custom post meta data
to designate posts (or pages) as "featured", and then query by that custom
post meta data in a secondary loop, to output the slider content.

Another example of "functionality" (though it truly is presentational, not
functional) is user-customized layouts.

I would much rather see developer time and energy expended in finding
innovative ways to present user content (the API improvements for post
formats in 3.6 alone open up a world of possibilities), than see that time
and energy wasted in arguing for the ability to unhook the WordPress
version meta generator.