[theme-reviewers] Removing core features

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed May 22 13:20:53 UTC 2013

The sole responsibility of a Theme is to present user content. Widget
placement? That's front-end. Navigation menu? That's front-end. And menus
are persistent from Theme to Theme. That's why Themes must declare a
theme_location for each navigation menu, so that the user can display the
*user-generated nav menu content*.

I disagree completely that Themes have "evolved" away from being the
presentation layer. Themes *can* do far more than that, but *shouldn't*.
Because Plugins and Themes use the same API to implement much of their
work, the possibility exists for a considerable amount of crossover between
what a Theme can do and what a Plugin can do. But just because a Theme or
Plugin *can* do something, doesn't mean that it *should*.

I continue to answer enough end-user support questions for which the answer
is "your Theme is interfering with your Plugin" (or otherwise
_doing_it_wrong()) to stand firm in my belief that facilitating the
blurring of the line between presentation and functionality would in any
way help end users.