[theme-reviewers] No More Private Off-listing Please (out of context)

Bryan Hadaway bhadaway at gmail.com
Sat May 18 22:29:36 UTC 2013

I'm starting a separate topic for this because it's becoming an issue, an
issue I think that effects the whole community, but I can only speak for
myself. If you're not going to read the following and read it in full and
reply in-list, don't read it at all.

Ironically, I got another off-list email of someone essentially agreeing
with me and saying they understand where I'm coming from (regarding recent
issues I raised in "*Proposed criteria change for Commercially Supported
GPL Themes page*" - I won't reveal their identity nor will I ever when
someone wishes to remain anonymous, though I don't agree with the
off-listing). Ironic because I didn't realize they went off-list at the
time and my reply was as follows:

"Anything list related is fine by me being public, I think it's better for
the community because all these off-list private discussions is what are in
fact counter-productive in my opinion (within reason of course, but I think
this issue concerns others as well).

Examples include people going off-list to take a certain tone with me that
they're clearly not comfortable doing "in front of others" as well as
several occasions where people went off-list just to agree with me because
they weren't comfortable doing so publicly.

You hear people talk about ethics and other strong standards in the
WordPress community, but I see a lot of petty and unbecoming behavior.
Mostly if you can't stand behind your convictions publicly, those
convictions aren't worth a damn.

I have no need to take conversations off-list because I have nothing to be
embarrassed about, I have a strong moral center and even if I'm wrong about
something that's fine, I'm very comfortable admitting when I'm wrong, it's
the best way to learn.

Whether the WP community, my own business and online communities or my real
life family and friends, people always know where I stand. Tired of a PC,
beat around the bush, euphemism society. That doesn't mean that politeness
isn't important. But, it's because of our oversensitive society that that
line becomes blurred.

Albeit, I should learn to pick by battles better, that's just the kind of
person I am, if I feel something needs saying, it will be said, even if in
vein.

Yes, I had sent some inquires to themes at wordpress.org with no reply which
is why I initially raised the issue to the list a while back, to get some
community feedback, but never got any official resolution until now.

I know what you mean, believe it or not, I skip about 90% of these
discussions. I really only chime in when I have something pertinent,
relevant or substantial to say unless I'm helping with a newbie question
real quick.

I usually just go by the subjects of the email and delete every subsequent
email reply of those subjects that either don't concern me or I'm not
interested in/can't add anything to.

Anyways, let's bury this dead horse. I raised some issues, Scott was able
to shed some light on them, back to refining the criteria for commercial
list eligibility."

Anyways, now that that is out of the way, onto the...

*Bottom Line*

- If a discussion originates privately and want to go on to share it with
the list to get feedback, great.

- If you want to contact me privately about something off-topic, great.

- But, if a discussion originates in-list, agree or disagree with me *
in-list*, *in context*, *publicly*. That's how a community works. If you
can't share your opinion with me in-list and have to go off-list to share
with me privately so that no one else sees, I don't want it. It doesn't do
me any good in validating that my points have merit.

If you agree with a peer in your community, speak up during the meeting for
the whole community to hear. Don't wait til it's over and come over and
whisper in my ear "Hey man, I appreciate what you said and get what you're
saying completely." That's counter-productive and the complete opposite of
how a community should work.

I don't know what it is about the WP community, but people are so afraid to
speak their minds sometimes like they're going to get banned or something.
This is unfortunate.