[theme-reviewers] Proposed criteria change for Commercially Supported GPL Themes page

Edward Caissie edward.caissie at gmail.com
Sun May 12 15:44:21 UTC 2013

I see having Commercial Theme houses being required to have at least one
"free" theme hosted on the dot-org repository as either a good thing or
having no affect on most everyone involved.

It's good for the commercial theme houses as it adds an avenue for them to
"advertise" their existence as well as their skills. This would provide the
community (high) quality themes and possible insights into how a "paid"
theme may be supported by these same authors aside from what end-users may
be able to read from reviews, word-of-mouth, etc. ... and the WPTRT would,
or at least should, see some quality code to review.

No matter the case, a commercial theme house submission may require a bit
more time to validate against the "up-sell" guidelines but in the end it is
simply another theme that needs to be reviewed and processed like any other
theme submission; and should be treated in exactly the same fashion.
Although the question that this brings to mind, since there is a time
element to this possible guideline, is what happens to the Commercial Theme
house's listing if the free theme (especially in cases where there is only
one free theme in the repository from the author) is subsequently resolved
to "not-approved"?

Edward Caissie
aka Cais.