[theme-reviewers] Hidden IP field in theme contact form

Paul Appleyard paul at spacecat.com
Sun May 12 04:48:41 UTC 2013

And I would ask:

Why the hell is he putting it as a hidden field in the form - why is he
just not getting the IP after the form is submitted? (NB: he has a
function that sorts through a bunch of proxy IP aliases to get the
proper IP address)

Regardless, I ALMOST ALWAYS record the IP address with help form
submissions. It's an innocuous piece of data, but it can sometimes be
helpful in sorting out the issues the person is enquiring about. Every
little extra piece of relevant data assists you in resolving whatever
issue they are raising. And remember, submitting that form is not a
passive act - generally you are providing a reply-to email address, your
name, contact number and so on (just checked the ticket in question - it
asks for full name and email address)

It's really (in this case) a non-issue. That information does not get
sent UNLESS you are already ACTIVELY PROVIDING your name and email address.

NOW, if the theme was secretly logging user agent, ip address etc to a
remote endpoint, THEN I would be worried..

Paul Appleyard

PS, sorry for the excessive caps.