[theme-reviewers] Hidden IP field in theme contact form

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri May 10 20:24:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph)
<philip at frumph.net> wrote:
> Hey Cais, why is getting an IP a no no?   I must have missed that
> conversation in my absence.
>
> From my reading of the European laws on Opt In, IP’s have nothing to do with
> it.   Just curious what’s the reasoning?

It's not that getting the information is necessarily bad, but that
it's sending the information in a hidden manner, without the knowledge
of the person using the contact form.

You and me may not consider that to be private information, but
somebody else might and they should at least have it shown on the form
that they're clicking send for.