[theme-reviewers] Submitting themes based on existing themes, about child themes

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Fri May 3 18:58:32 UTC 2013

1-5) Child Themes must use a currently approved (i.e. currently listed in
the official Theme directory) Theme as a template, and must demonstrate
significant design/functionality distinction from the Parent Theme.

6) Proper copyright/license attribution for a Child Theme would be, e.g.,
as follows:

Fred WordPress Theme, copyright 2013 Fred Rogers
Fred is distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL, version 2.0

Fred WordPress Theme is a derivative of Twenty Twelve, copyright 2012 The
WordPress Team
Twenty Twelve is distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL

The critical elements: Theme name, copyright, distribution terms;
derivative work declaration, original work copyright, original work
distribution terms.

7) All Themes in the directory are GPL-compatible, so yes

B1) Yes, Child Themes are accepted in the Theme directory now

B2) See answer to 1-5, above