[theme-reviewers] Child Theme and Parent Options

Fränk Klein wp-mailing at fklein.info
Thu Mar 28 12:18:49 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm currently reviewing the Avatar Theme (http://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11521), which is a Child Theme based on Destro (http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/destro).

When I activate the Avatar Theme, I can see the corresponding design on the Front End. However after activation, I'm redirected to the options page of the Parent Theme, where I can select a skin. This skin then overrides the style of the Child Theme.

This means that if I want to go back to the design of the Child Theme, I need to restore the default options. Unfortunately this means that I'll lose all of my options.

This is how the Parent Theme works as well (no options = default skin), so from a Requirements standpoint this seems okay. However from a user standpoint, I find this confusing and not that ideal, because in the Parent Theme, the default design is available as a skin (so no need to reset the options), but in the Child Theme, this isn't the case.

Any opinions on this? Thanks!