[theme-reviewers] Editing core shortcodes (Gallery)

Jeremy Herve jeremy at jeremyherve.com
Tue Mar 26 18:45:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Daniel Tara <contact at onedesigns.com> wrote:

> A common problem when themes do his is that they override the functionality of other plugins like Jetpack, however that can be avoided with just a simple check:
>
> require_once( ABSPATH . 'wp-admin/includes/plugin.php' );
> if( is_plugin_active( 'jetpack/jetpack.php' ) && in_array( 'tiled-gallery', Jetpack::get_active_modules() ) )
> return '';
>
> Other than that I don't see any reason why themes shouldn't hack into the gallery short code, it's presentational after all.

You're completely right. I actually ran into the issue when helping a
blogger who uses one of your themes, Esplanade. They couldn't use
Jetpack Tiled Galleries, and I suggested a fix similar to the one you
proposed above (although I checked for the Jetpack class instead of
checking for is_plugin_active).

Do you plan on adding this check to a future update of your theme?

I see how it could become problematic though; if you add support for
Jetpack, other plugin authors might contact you to ask you to support
their plugin as well. That could become quite messy.
That's why I'd prefer for such functions to be added by plugins.

Cheers,

Jeremy