[theme-reviewers] Entypo Font

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sun Mar 10 00:56:15 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
> The secondary social icons font brings up an interesting question, though:
> what of trademarks? The Entypo site notes that the actual images/glyphs are
> TM/&copy; of their respective social networking sites, yet the font is
> SIL-licensed. Are those icons allowable in a .Org theme?

Trademarks and copyrights are two very different things. We don't
allow copyrighted material that is released under an incompatible
license in the directory.

But the actual *use* of the mark in question is important when it
comes to trademarks. Trademarks don't have the same inherent
properties as a copyright does, and as such present no problems with
being in the directory as long as they are not being used improperly.
Like, you couldn't use Facebook's trademarked logo in a way designed
to cause user confusion. But if you're actually linking to/referring
to Facebook, then it's probably okay.