[theme-reviewers] Need Help

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Mar 4 16:01:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Chip Bennett <chip at chipbennett.net> wrote:
> So what about an add_theme_support() option, for Themes that opt to
> integrate options into the customizer?

What would declaring theme support for the customizer even do? If it's
just adding the menu option, heck, themes can do that themselves with
a single line of code.

There's no point in having yet-another theme_support system until it
does something that can be considered a) relatively stable, b)
meaningful, and c) likely to expand in scope in the future. The
customizer is likely to expand, but I wouldn't call it "stable" yet,
since even the controls changed somewhat in 3.5 and will probably
change more in 3.6. And until declaring support for it does something
more than just adding a menu, I doubt it's meaningful enough to need a
theme_support option that would have to be supported by core for the
foreseeable future.

Maybe eventually. But again, it's not there yet.