[theme-reviewers] Tinymce button that only adds css codes.. still plugin territory?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sun Mar 3 14:07:18 UTC 2013

Hmm, actually, there *are* shortcodes:
http://themes.svn.wordpress.org/firmasite/1.1.0/functions/shortcodes.php

And this is definitely Plugin territory:
http://themes.svn.wordpress.org/firmasite/1.1.0/functions/remove-comments-absolute.php

And a good deal of this is Plugin territory:
http://themes.svn.wordpress.org/firmasite/1.1.0/functions/fix.php

And this is also probably Plugin territory (though a bit of a gray area):
http://themes.svn.wordpress.org/firmasite/1.1.0/functions/custom-sharing-buttons.php
http://themes.svn.wordpress.org/firmasite/1.1.0/functions/custom-facebook-comments.php

But, for the TinyMCE buttons: my initial reaction would be to say that they
also are probably Plugin territory. What do the buttons do? What do they
add to the post content? Wrap selected content in <span class="foo
bar"></span> tags? Sure, that degrades more gracefully than un-parsed
shortcodes, but it would still result in a bunch of unused markup scattered
throughout the user's posts after switching Themes. *Thus, I would say that
the TinyMCE buttons are also Plugin territory*. I would recommend defining
the *styles* for the CSS classes added via the TinyMCE buttons, but make
the underlying TinyMCE button functionality itself a Plugin.

Regards,

Chip