[theme-reviewers] 'flex-height' and 'flex-width' in custom header

Srini srinig112 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 18:27:43 UTC 2013

Here is a case:

Recently I submitted a theme with header size 940x140 pixels, and
accordingly pass the values 940 and 140 for 'width' and 'height' arguments
into the add_theme_support('custom_header') call. I also set 'flex-width'
and 'flex-height' to true, just to give the user more flexibility to crop
the image to a different size if they want. That's because the header size
isn't really fixed, it varies according to the viewport widths, length of
site title/description, etc., so just wanted to give the user some room to
play around with a header image size of their choice and get it just the
way they want.

Now, the reviewer contends that the size of the header element in the front
end *must* grow/shrink if the user uploads a header image with a different
height than suggested. The only way for me to achieve that is to
increase/decrease the padding above and/or below the site
title/description. I don't want to do that as that as modifying the padding
would interfere with the proportions of design (at least in my eyes). The
other option is to set 'flex-height' to false, and I don't want to do this
too for reasons I mentioned above.

The reviewer has cited this issue as one one of the reasons for
not-approving the theme. Even if the argument is valid, I'm not sure how
this can be a reason to turn down a theme. I'd appreciate opinions on this
issue.

Here is the ticket: http://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11346