[theme-reviewers] Question about removing default widgets

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Mar 1 03:09:19 UTC 2013

The way that Widgets currently work, there is no guarantee that Widgets
that populate a particular dynamic sidebar in one Theme will populate a
particular dynamic sidebar in any other Theme, because the dynamic sidebar
IDs are not standardized. Widget configurations are stored as a theme_mod,
with no expectation that Widget configuration (either specific Widgets in
specific dynamic sidebars, or specific configuration of specific Widgets)
will be the same from Theme to Theme.