[theme-reviewers] Question about removing default widgets

Thomas Scholz thomas.scholz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 00:55:49 UTC 2013

Otto:

> Yeah, that's no good.
>
> Instead, he should add his own widgets, and they should all have the
> Theme's name in them. This clues people in that if they switch the
> theme, those widgets go away.

But what happens when the replacement does almost the same work, and the
old widget continues working after a theme switch?

Basic example:

A widget for a custom menu with an option to select a specific
presentation (with description, icons, whatever).
When the theme is disabled, the old, built-in widget will use the same
setup, just the presentation will go away.

No harm done.

But if you keep both versions available, users will be confused with items
that are too similar, some will use the wrong widget, and the “Available
Widgets” box will be cluttered. The widget management screen is already
hard to use, especially on smaller screens when you have to scroll during
dragging. The requirement not to replace widgets that they continue to
work after theme deactivation could introduce serious accessibility
problems.

I think the requirement should be: IF you replace native widgets the
settings MUST still work after theme deactivation.

Thomas