[theme-reviewers] Questions on my first review

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jun 11 23:59:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Philip M. Hofer (Frumph)
<philip at frumph.net> wrote:
> sharing and social buttons could be cosmetic specific for the theme
>
> google analytics is backend which is plugin territory yeah

I'm kind of okay with certain edge cases about social-networking
buttons. For example, if the theme has Twitter and Facebook buttons
which are specifically styled for the theme, then a bit of extra code
to make them work is okay, as long as it's not pulling in JS and CSS
and other strange code from elsewhere.

This goes along the same lines as a theme should be self-contained, or
at least have that as a possibility. If I install the theme on an
internal network, with no internet access, then it should still work.

But Google Analytics, not so much. Realistically, the only thing you
need to do for GA is to put some code in the footer, and there's
dozens of plugins to do that right. I can't think of any realistic
integration for a theme that would make sense. GA doesn't display
anything at all, it records visits, basically. Not relevant to the
theme.

The way I see it, anything that is in the theme should somehow relate
to the *display* of the webpage. That's sort of the whole point of the
theme. If the code doesn't affect the *look* of the page in some way,
then it shouldn't be in the theme.

Just my 2 cents.