[theme-reviewers] Becoming a theme reviewer

Fränk Klein wp-mailing at fklein.info
Fri Jun 7 12:01:24 UTC 2013

In terms of requirements for being a reviewer, being passionate about WordPress and willing to learn are the only two indispensable things in my opinion. A lot of themes unfortunately fail the most basic checks (theme/author URI, screenshot, licensing,…), so technical skills aren't even needed in those cases. Besides, you can pick up the necessary knowledge quite easily in parallel to doing reviews.

I started reviewing themes after watching a video of Matt where he mentioned that joining the WPTRT is the best way to become better at developing themes. And he was absolutely right, I learned A LOT.

Besides this, I agree that giving back to the community is probably the biggest motivation. Considering the number of outright crappy or simply sloppily coded themes out there, it is important to keep standards high on WordPress.org.

[shameless plug] I wrote a guest post about a similar subject, maybe this can be of interest to you: http://www.wpkube.com/join-the-wordpress-theme-review-team/ [/shameless plug]