[theme-reviewers] Commercial, Themeforest and WordPress.Org

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sun Jul 28 19:58:55 UTC 2013

Yes and no. Like I said: it's not something that we investigate with any
special diligence. But it's not about the linkage. If we know about it,
simply removing the link doesn't resolve the issue.

Say Joe Developer sells Themes on TF under the Regular License. Joe
Developer then submits a Theme to WPORG, and his ThemeURI has a banner ad
for his TF offerings. The reviewer notes the licensing issue with the
TF-offered Themes. Joe Developer then simply removing the TF link from the
ThemeURI page wouldn't allow the Theme to be approved for WPORG. Joe
Developer would have to re-license his TF-offered WordPress Themes as 100%
GPL.

So, the TL:DR:

1) It's a matter of WORG policy regarding licensing
2) If we know about it, we have to act accordingly
3) While I fully support the WPORG policy, I think Theme Reviewers have far
more important and value-added things to do than dig several degrees of
separation for licensing issues; so,
4) We're not going to look for it any more diligently than any other
licensing issue, so if someone actively tries to segregate TF offerings
from WPORG offerings, it's very likely we won't notice it.