[theme-reviewers] Theme text domain and function name prefix

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Jul 27 17:05:57 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Srikanth Koneru <tskk79 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, they all use same code base and I am switching them all to _s
> Otto said text domain can't be same but I have no idea why tough.
> I will be providing English pot/po/mo files in the theme so translators
> don't even have to look into template files. Even then text domain can't be
> same?

The text domain needs to be unique amongst all text domains in
existence, so that we can (in the future) support language packs
properly.

In other words, it kinda sucks that you as a theme author need to both
manage and distribute those pomo files. Wouldn't it be nice if the
user could automatically download them for all their
plugins/themes/etc just by choosing a language in WordPress itself? I
think so. So does core: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/18200

To do this well and easily, two things need to be the case:
1. Unique text domains
2. Hard coded text domains (not using defines or variables or what have you).

No set timeframe on this, but it would be nice if things were in place
for if/when it happens.