[theme-reviewers] Webmaster Tools IDs - plugin territory?

Bruce Wampler weavertheme at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 22:03:13 UTC 2013

I'm still interested i all this. I agree 100% with what Chip said a few
rounds back - it is the theme end user that we should all consider first.
And Emil's proposal to make no plugins recommended for existing theme would
be great.

On the other hand, I just spent a few dozen hours taking the shortcodes out
of my theme, building a new plugin to support former theme shortcodes for
this new version (and other themes with limited styling), and adding all
sorts of code ease the transition for my users. (All after some private
discussion with Chip to be sure my theme would again be compliant.)

I still think there is a place for comprehensive theme frameworks that go
beyond simple presentation, and have lots of options for the theme user.
Not all people can or want to write custom CSS and php for child themes to
have a say in how their site looks, and themes with lots of options and
features serve this segment quite well.

But, if the standard for acceptable theme deisgn includes things that don't
directly control which user content is displayed (such as analytics stuff),
then let it be available in theme options. And I would say that any feature
supplied by any plugin that requires adding php code to a theme (and there
are tons of them) should really be allowed in a theme.

Bruce Wampler