[theme-reviewers] bundled resources

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Jul 13 11:16:13 UTC 2013

I'd say it is fine to optionally use fonts from public resources like
Google Fonts and similar. However, yes, the theme needs to link to
something about that font somewhere. This something should both be a
credit page, as well as stating what license the font is available
under.

For example, if a theme used Open Sans from Google Fonts, then I'd
expect it to have a link in comments or the readme.txt file to
http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Open+Sans , which states where
the font came from as well as the Apache License it's available under.

Font licensing can be complex and tricky, so it's important that fonts
used by themes have licenses which allow their usage on sites.

Additionally, note that not every web user can see fonts from
third-party sites, so appropriate fallbacks should be coded into the
CSS to allow for more "default" fonts to be used as well.

-Otto