[theme-reviewers] help with review

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jul 2 19:07:29 UTC 2013

Srikanth, that would make the theme needlessly large, and we have a
size limit on themes in the repository. There's nothing wrong with
including content from YouTube or Vimeo or some common video provider
code and the like. These are commonplace and frequently used.

The concern about including third party resources such as with iframes
is primarily related to privacy and tracking, and also security. If
you were including an iframe linking to your own site, then that would
be a concern because you would be getting back information about who
used your theme and on what sites. If you were including JS code from
your site, then you could change that code and potentially "hack"
other sites with it.

Themes should load resources all from themselves and not from the
theme author's sites. Including code from very widely used
third-parties, where you're not receiving anything like tracking info
and such, I would personally find okay.

But I would question the wisdom of including this sort of thing as an
embedded video on, say, a theme options page. Not everybody has super
high speed connections, and mobile use is becoming a lot more
prevalent. It might be best to hide the videos behind a normal clicked
link, or to make a wholly separate page for them. In fact, you might
consider not putting those video embeds in the theme at all, but
instead having some kind of help link back to your own site for
viewing them. This way, changing the videos and the help information
and such doesn't actually require updating the theme every time. A
normal link to your own site for help and information and other such
things is perfectly acceptable.

-Otto