[theme-reviewers] Rule Addition?

Thomas Scholz thomas.scholz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 15:05:09 UTC 2013

Aaron Nimocks:

> From a support or even end user perspective I would absolutely love if
> each template file was required to have a comment for when it started
> and ended.  This way just viewing the source you can instantly tell
> which file it is in.  I really don't think it would require too much
> effort for theme submitters but I think it would make a great deal of
> difference for supporting these themes as well as allowing end users to
> have a method of finding which page to edit.
>
> Using something standard like
>
> <!-- TEMPLATE FILE footer.php Start -->
> <!-- TEMPLATE FILE footer.php End -->
>
> or for hooks
>
> <!-- TEMPLATE HOOK wp_footer Start -->
> <!-- TEMPLATE HOOK wp_footer End -->

PHP comments should be recommended, HTML comments should be discouraged.
They are just a waste of bandwidth, because most visitors do not need them.

So …

<?php
# here be dragons
?>

… would be okay, but …

<!-- this will be sent ob every request -->

… is bad style.

Yes, I am aware some popular themes are doing this. But it is wrong to let
readers pay for that.

Thomas