[theme-reviewers] Theme names and updates

Morgan Kay morgan at wpalchemists.com
Mon Dec 23 17:40:34 UTC 2013

On 12/23/2013 3:58 AM, Otto wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Morgan Kay <morgan at wpalchemists.com
> <mailto:morgan at wpalchemists.com>> wrote:
>
>     1) Is there anything that theme authors who write bespoke themes
>     can do to prevent this from happening?  Other than only using
>     really obscure names, or giving our themes artificially high
>     version numbers?
>

> Why "other than"?
>
> A custom theme should use a custom name. If the theme is for
> "Example.com" then it should be named "Example.com Whatever". Why
> would a custom "bespoke" theme have a generic name?

Because, as far as I can tell, a lot of developers aren't aware that
this is a problem.  I have worked on lots of sites that have custom
themes, and the vast majority of them have fairly generic names (usually
the brand name of the website).

If I'm the only person who thinks this is a problem, I'm perfectly happy
to drop it.

Morgan.