[theme-reviewers] New theme tags for 3.8

Joe Dolson design at joedolson.com
Wed Dec 11 23:59:10 UTC 2013

Hi, Bass - if you want to contact me off-list, feel free (joe at joedolson.com);
but I'll answer this message on list here. Whether this is on-topic or not
is hard to gauge. But I'm sure somebody will let me know!

We haven't provided extensive options on the accessibility page because,
frankly, it was already pretty lengthy, and it could easily become
book-length. Since this is the first time these guidelines are going to be
getting used, they will undoubtedly be tweaked in the coming months so that
they are more friendly to those who use them!

So, first: display: none;

Yes, display:none; removes the hidden items from what a screen reader will
provide. This isn't necessarily a problem, as long as a method is provided
that brings it back into view, and which shares that information with
screen readers. Using display:none, in itself, won't prevent your theme
from meeting the accessibility-ready requirements, but the hidden resources
need to have a specific method of bringing them back to focus. With a menu,
that means something that you activate which focuses the menu. The menu
parent should have an attribute of aria-live='polite' so that when the
children are brought back into the DOM, screen reader's will announce the
presence of the menu.

I haven't done a thorough study of the BootStrap menus; but I think that's
probably due, and will undoubtedly come up repeatedly in the next few
months. Based on a quick test right now of BootStrap's demo (
http://getbootstrap.com/javascript/#dropdowns), they appear to be
accessible.

But with accessibility, it's always necessary to do reviews of an actual
implementation: one implementation being accessible does not mean that
another will be.

Best,
Joe

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Bass Jobsen <bass at w3masters.nl> wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>
> I read your message about the 'accessibility-ready' and found it
> very interesting. I'm a theme developer, so probably on the wrong list.
> I will try to get this a 'accessibility-ready' tag for my theme although
> my first target will be to get my theme approved at all (
> http://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/15659).
>
> I read
> http://make.wordpress.org/themes/guidelines/guidelines-accessibility/ and
> find many don't but less howto or alternatives. I will give you an example,
> i read "display:none removes the concealed object from screen reader’s
> reading, and should not be used." I understand the meaning. Now finding a
> good solution doesn't same easy. My theme use Twitter's Bootstrap. Both
> Bootstrap and i paid attention to accessibility, see:
> http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/#accessibility and
> https://github.com/bassjobsen/jamedo-bootstrap-start-theme/issues/35
>
> Although a default component the dropdown adds accessibility, see;
> http://getbootstrap.com/components/#dropdowns it doesn't meet the
> requirement of not using "display:none". Accessibility can be add by the
> sr-only class and using aria-labelledby attributes, but there still will be
> a "display:none".
> In the case the dropdown adds additional information the content will be
> hidden for all users. So maybe the requirement should be content with
> "display:none" should be accessible for all users (for example also via a
> sr-only button).
> I also look for alternative solutions. You will find some here:
> http://css-tricks.com/places-its-tempting-to-use-display-none-but-dont/.
> Some solution requires javascript (or you show hide only when javascript is
> on) which maybe introduce other accessibility issues.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bass
>

> 2013/12/11 Joe Dolson <design at joedolson.com>
>
>> In addition to the fixed-layout, fluid-layout, and responsive-layout, the
>> 'accessibility-ready' tag is going live in WP 3.8.
>>
>> For that tag, the guidelines at the theme accessibility review docs will
>> need to be followed, in addition to the standard tags:
>> http://make.wordpress.org/themes/guidelines/guidelines-accessibility/
>>
>> If anybody needs any help handling a review that's using the
>> accessibility-ready tag, ping me with the ticket and I'll happily chime in.
>>
>> Best,
>> Joe
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As part of the 3.8 release scheduled for next week, one of the changes
>>> has to do with the allowed tags in themes.
>>>
>>> The old "Width" tags have been deprecated in favor of new "Layout" tags,
>>> which are considered to better describe actual usage.
>>>
>>> - The "fixed-width" tag has become "fixed-layout".
>>> - The "flexible-width" tag has become "fluid-layout".
>>> - Finally, a new tag of "responsive-layout" was added.

> [...]

Joseph Dolson
Accessibility consultant & WordPress developer
http://www.joedolson.com
http://profiles.wordpress.org/joedolson