[theme-reviewers] RSS Feeds in Theme Options?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Fri Dec 6 13:02:36 UTC 2013

To give a counter-example, for context: I have a "Support" section in the
contextual help tab for my Theme Options page in Oenology. In that
"Support" section, I pull in various API data - GitHub issues (closed for
running change log, open for roadmap), GitHub commits, and the RSS feed for
the WPORG support forum for Oenology (so users can see any open/closed
support issues, in case they have a related issue).

Key points:

1. I use a wrapper function for
fetch_feed()<https://github.com/chipbennett/oenology/blob/master/functions/custom.php#L1156>,
and save the result in a transient
2. The feed is the Theme support feed, which benefits the user moreso than
the developer
3. I keep the output tucked away in the contextual help tab, where it's
available if needed, but otherwise out of the way

With a subjective question like this one, a good question to as is: how
does this impact the user? It's perfectly fine for developers to gain some
benefit/promotion, but when you view it from the perspective of the user,
is it a benefit to the user? Or is it a nuisance/distraction for the user.

And by all means, raise the question in the ticket, and discuss it with the
developer. It's not really feasible to make hard-and-fast rules for these
kinds of things, and it's usually okay for the developer and reviewer to
hash it out in the ticket, and come to a mutual agreement.