[theme-reviewers] Can we use Isotope?

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Mon Aug 19 13:25:28 UTC 2013

I believe that license is not compatible with GPL. It adds a use
restriction (purchase of a commercial license) if the work is used in a
commercial project. The GPL does not permit any use restrictions whatsoever.

Note that this situation from selling the work, licensed under MIT, but
giving it away for free to open-source projects. The difference is in the
rights retained downstream.

If an "open-source" project uses the work under MIT, and distributes the
downstream work under MIT, according to the license terms of the original
work, downstream users of that work still cannot use the original work in
commercial projects without purchasing a commercial license.

This is essentially a "MIT + Other Terms" license, and as such, is not
GPL-compatible.