[theme-reviewers] Unregister core plugins

Emil Uzelac emil at uzelac.me
Thu Aug 8 10:26:10 UTC 2013

Agreeing with Otto, this isn't the best practice and concurring with Chip
and Mel as well. Core should not be unregistered, create your own instead.

Honestly, in the several years I've been doing this, I can't think of a
single time this ever came up in my support forums.  However, I do write a
custom description for the newly-registered widgets, so that probably helps.

On 8/7/2013 3:07 PM, esmi at quirm dot net wrote:

> on 07/08/2013 19:41 Edward Caissie said the following:
>>
>> I've "drafted" it onto this Guideline page:
>> http://make.wordpress.org/themes/guidelines/guidelines-plugin-territory/
>>
>> We may need to review this page's title to encompass widgets but let's
>> start with a quick consensus on this wording.
>

> Just a thought but, if a theme is de-registering a core widget, should
this be noted somewhere (eg the theme's readme.txt file & description)? I'm
just thinking of how users might react if they suddenly see extra widget
options appear/disappear with theme changes.