[theme-reviewers] Options Framework Discussion

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Thu Apr 18 12:24:21 UTC 2013

There are two issues, separate but related:

1) Plugin dependency
2) User experience

Certainly, a Theme must not be *dependent* on a Plugin, including the OF
Plugin. However, it is entirely possible to develop a Theme that functions
fully without the Plugin, and merely *extends* the Theme by exposing Theme
options if the Plugin is installed. (And if Theme options are handled
properly, including sane-default fallback values, that's entirely possible.)

However, even if a Theme properly handles options such that it functions
fully without the Plugin, including options via Plugin still presents a
less-than-ideal, or even a bad, user experience. Why should a user have to
take the extra time and effort to find, install, and activate a separate
Plugin, merely to be able to use an integral Theme feature such as Theme
options? I don't view Theme options as an extension of functionality.