[theme-reviewers] No hook prefix

Justin Tadlock justin at justintadlock.com
Tue Sep 25 23:10:45 UTC 2012

One of the things that I've wanted to do is use a standardized hook
system across all my themes.  However, as per the guidelines, this is
not an option because themes require a unique prefix:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Review#Theme_Namespacing

All my themes are built on the same framework as well as several themes
from other theme authors (some of which are also on .ORG). Trying to
explain why the "hybrid_before_content" hook won't work with the
Prototype theme is problematic with many of my users.  As I build more
themes, I can see this becoming an even bigger issue.

The biggest thing for me is cutting back on repeat support questions.
I'll have one user find a perfectly good answer in my forums for another
theme that won't work with the theme he's using.

I don't see not having a unique prefix on hooks as a major issue. But, I
wanted to touch base with you all before going down this route with my
themes.  Thoughts?